Divorce settlements are often hard-fought battles and if you’re lucky, as fair as possible in the current circumstances.  However, life after divorce often brings about unanticipated changes, making the original settlement agreement untenable for one or both parties.  In New Jersey it is possible to modify aspects of your divorce settlement agreement if a substantially changed circumstance affecting the welfare of your child has occurred.

Depending on your situation, you may be able to go to court and request a modification of your settlement.  In post divorce modifications the most common changes requested include:

  • Child custody and visitation.  You may request a change in custody and/or visitation if your ex spouse has become unfit as a parent – such as behaviors that would endanger or create a harmful environment for your child.  Visitation and custody may also be changed when your ex spouse seeks a move-away order, because he or she wants to move your child out of state.
  • Child support.  Requests for a change in child support is made when financial situations have changed for either the custodial or the non-custodial parent, such as reduced income, loss of employment, a serious illness, or additional support obligations to a child from another relationship.
  • Alimony.  You may request a change in alimony payments when either parties’ financial situation changes, such as death of either party, remarrying or cohabitation of the dependent spouse, an increase or decrease in income, loss of employment and, a serious illness.
  • Debt and asset distribution.  You may request a change in debt and asset distribution if your ex spouse failed to disclose assets at the time the marital estate was determined.

Talk to our New Jersey family law attorneys

If you feel your change in circumstances warrants a post-divorce modification, you need to speak to an experienced Cherry Hill modifications attorneyContact Morgenstern & Rochester online  or call (856) 489-6200 to discuss your post divorce modification.